The Kaleidoscope Gathering (KG) welcomes vendors, big and small. Shopping is a highlight for many KG visitors and we are pleased to be able to provide an area for vending, “Diagon Alley.”
Please review our Vendors’ Policy before arriving. All vendors must conform to the Vendors’ Policy.
We want vendors to be successful and we want attendees to have amazing shopping opportunities. Please recognize that we try to empower vendors as much as possible; unlike many venues, we do not charge for vending space – and vendors are given prime locations at KG. Your cooperation and patience is appreciated and will facilitate the continuation of the free vending space for vendors.
Please fill out the following form for Vendor Registration when you pre-register and pay between May and June. After that, please print it and bring it with you. Copies will be available on-site as well, but please do not forget your insurance information. It can be emailed to email@example.com.
1. You are permitted to come to Raven’s Knoll for set up prior to the festival. The official set up for vending begins on the Saturday morning before the festival officially starts, at 10 a.m. (ish). There will be much discussion, pointing, moustache-stroking, measuring and Tetris-like math that is done before the setting up begins, so please be patient. Your pre-paid, pre-registered form is numbered so there is no need to panic!
2. Vendors must be paid in full for pre-KG days and KG itself prior to setting up. All required documentation (insurance and set up info) must be received before setting up. You can do this in advance, to speed up your registration.
3. Vendors will be given a numbered authorization form from Registration when they arrive. This will be given to the Magical Carnies (vendor coordinators, Gus & Aniya), who will assign you a space, depending on your size requirements and availability.
4. If you come before KG starts on Wednesday, vendors will be charged a pre- / post- festival set up charge on a per day basis for each 10 x 10 frontage (or thereabouts) tent that is set up. The fee is $13/day (including HST). Vendors also need to pay for their camping.
5. To facilitate a smooth set up and aid our vendor friends, it is understood that some vendors will set up their vending tent early but not stay on site. You will only be charged as noted above for your vending set-up. However, should you wish to set up personal tents, you will be charged on a per-tent/per-day basis for that, whether or not you are on-site. All personal and vending tents will be tagged. The fee is $13/day (including HST).
6. Pre-registration is NOT required but it is recommended to give us an idea of the space required. You can register without pre-paying but it will not guarantee you a space. Note: Some folks send their vending tent up with a friend to set up. As long as the vending and registration form is completed and everything is paid in advance, this is not an issue, and would ensure you a space on Diagon Alley, if that is your preference.
7. A vendor who has pre-registered and pre-paid, they are guaranteed a spot – but not a specific spot, location or side of the road (such as on Diagon Alley or beside so-and-so). It can be difficult to insert tents between those already set up. There may be exceptions: those with smaller set-ups that can be inserted in those odd spaces with trees/bushes, etc. that make it impossible for regular sized tents may be reserved a space. Additionally, the really big tents and those on the throughways may be pre-assigned
8. Vendors who want to camp behind their set up need to be on-site on the Saturday, and pre-registered/pre-paid. However, if there is a need for a fourth row, as determined by pre-paid vendor applications, there will not be any camping behind vending.
9. Likewise, if a vendor really wants hydro (i.e. electricity), we recommend an early arrival. We cannot guarantee you a hydro accessible site, although we will try to accommodate requests.
10. Spaces will be allotted by the Magical Carnies. Please keep in mind that they are balancing space, hydro needs, math, accessibility issues, the need for clear walk-ways on either side of Diagaon Alley, strange smells, their own vending set ups, etc., so please be patient! Empty spaces and closed booths discourage shoppers and make the Gods of commerce cry. In response to customers and vendors alike, vendors who have historically not been open full time for the majority of the festival will be assigned a location on Rookery Row (not Diagon Alley). If you plan to be open only occasionally, talk to the Magical Carnies.
11. An official receipt with our GST number can be provided by email for those who pre-registered, or on-site at registration for those paying on-site in cash. If you need one and forgot to ask, send MA a message after KG (give it a few weeks), and we will happily send you one for your business taxes and GST reimbursement.
General Vending Rules
1. There is no additional charge for vendors at during KG. Pre-KG, vending tents are subject to a separate charge pre-KG only.
2. There are not restrictions on the hours of operation, provided that you are not causing a disturbance. KG and/or Raven’s Knoll staff determine what constitutes a disturbance.
3. You may start vending as soon as you set up; you do not have to wait until KG officially starts.
4. There is a charge for electrical use. There are limited connections available. The cost is $13.00 (including HST). The cost for electricity includes your personal camping area behind your vending site, if you are able to camp there. Electricity cannot be shared with other vendors or campers.
5. There is vehicle access to the vendors’ area for setting up. However, your vehicle must be moved after set up. (If you have stock or valuables, please make alternate arrangements.) There will be no vehicles allowed in the vending areas. This includes people who want to sleep in their vehicles.
6. KG and Raven’s Knoll are not responsible for loss, damage or theft of your set up or goods.
7. Registration will be happy to provide anyone who wishes a receipt for their pre- or post-camping set up, electricity charges and KG registration, as these can be considered business expenses for business tax and HST purposes. An official receipt with our GST number can be provided by email for those who pre-registered, or on-site at registration for those paying on-site in cash. If you need one and forgot to ask, send MA a message after KG (give it a few weeks), and we will happily send you one for your business taxes and GST reimbursement.
8. To accommodate vendors’ tents, camping of non-vendors in the vending area is not permitted (vendors’ family excepted). In some circumstances, vendors may camp behind their set up, if there is sufficient room. Please consult Magical Carny Gus, upon your arrival and indicate your preference on the vendor registration.
9. There is absolutely NO food or beverage vending, body piercings or tattoo vending allowed. This is for the safety of our guests.
Insurance, Licences & Taxes
1. You must have vendors’ insurance. You will need to provide the policy number and company when you complete the vending registration. You must have this insurance in place, and the required information provided before you set up.
2. Insurance must cover your goods/services, as well as any and all people who are selling for you.
3. Vendors are responsible for ensuring that any licences, regulations and standards of their trade are followed. For example, municipal licences, health care regulations, etc. must be followed, and any insurance or consent forms provided to patrons, if necessary.
4. There is no food vending, tattooing or body piercing allowed.
5. Each vendor is responsible for conforming to provincial and federal rules for collecting and remitting applicable taxes (HST, etc.).
Restrictions & Limitations
1. Vending is restricted to the vendors’ area only; vending in other areas is not permitted. If you do not have a full vending tent, you will need to position it so that it is full, share with other vendors, or reduce your space. Please be courteous to other vendors with your set-up.
2. You must bring your own tables, chairs or other elements. You cannot use the RK picnic tables, white or green chairs, tables, etc. These are reserved for the general use of all KG guests.
3. There may be restrictions on the size of your vending area. Please only take the space you need. If you are unsure of where to set up, how big a space to use, etc. talk to the Magical Carnies, Gus or Aniya, or if you have an unusually large set up. (Remember: It is not the size of your set up that matters, but what you are selling.)
4. You are not permitted to sell restricted or prohibited weapons, as defined by the Criminal Code of Canada, or any other illegal goods or services.
The vending area has been designed to facilitate the flow of traffic of festival attendees, as well as to allow people to mill about and browse your goods, hang out and socialize, and allow for emergency vehicles, etc. As such, please do not set up any extra tent, structure, blanket, etc. without first consulting the Magical Carnies, or you will be asked to move or modify your set up.